250g butter, softened
330g firmly packed brown sugar
450g plain flour
75g self-raising flour
50g cocoa powder
2 Tbs cocoa powder, extra
Chocolate Mud Cake
150g butter, chopped
100g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
220g caster sugar
2 Tbs coffee liqueur
150g plain flour
2 Tbs cocoa powder
2 egg yolks
Combine butter, chocolate, sugar, the water and liqueur in small saucepan. Stir over low heat until smooth. Place mixture in medium bowl; cool 10 minutes. Whisk in sifted flour and cocoa, then egg yolks. Bake about 25 minutes. Cool cakes in pans. Using 6.5cm round cutter, cut 12 rounds from each cake.
200g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
Bring cream to a boil in small saucepan; remove from heat. Add chocolate; stir until smooth. Refrigerate until spreadable.
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan-forced. Grease two 20cm x 30cm lamington pans; line with a strip of baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edges of pans.
- Make chocolate mud cake.
- Make chocolate ganache.
- Beat butter, sugar and eggs in small bowl with electric mixer until combined. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in sifted flours and cocoa, in two batches. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth; divide in half, roll each portion between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
- Using 6.5cm round cutter, cut 48 rounds from dough. Place about 3cm apart on oven trays. Bake about 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- Spread ganache onto underside of cookies; sandwich a mud cake round between two cookies.
- Using heart template, dust cookies with extra cocoa.